Emergency Physician - Quality Improvement Scientist

Alberta Health Services - More jobs by this advertiser

The Department of Emergency Medicine invites applications for a full-time academic contingent term position at the Assistant Professor level in the area of Emergency Medicine Quality Improvement Science. This position will have 60% protected time for research, education and administration, with the remaining 40% time served as a clinical emergency physician in Calgary.


Qualifications include an MD, or equivalent, certification in Emergency Medicine (FRCP, CCFP-EM or ABEM), with eligibility for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta. Specialized training in quality improvement science (Diploma or Masters) is preferred. Candidates with established research backgrounds with evidence of successful research and scholarship in quality improvement science will be considered. Specifically, expertise and appropriateness for the position will be demonstrated by evidence of a track record of publications in high quality Emergency Medicine journals, evidence of a strong track record of successfully securing external research and Quality Improvement Science grants,

The successful candidate will be actively involved in quality improvement science and research, and will focus on information technologies and leveraging of audit and feedback as well as testing decision support interventions. Our Calgary Zone Emergency Departments are in need of innovative thinking and approaches to enhancing flow, improving triage models, developing new information technology systems, and innovative decision support systems for better care. The new Emergency Medicine Quality Improvement Scientist will use their expertise and leadership to significantly add to the Emergency Department’s ability to become a national leader. Local opportunities for scholarly work in Quality Improvement Science are extensive, and the successful candidate will be expected, in conjunction with the Division Chief (Research), to foster the research endeavours of interested department members and trainees in Health Improvement Science within the Calgary Academic Department of Emergency Medicine at the Cumming School of Medicine, University of Calgary.

The Department of Emergency Medicine encompasses two vibrant emergency medicine residency programs and four hospital sites seeing over 300,000 patients per year. In addition to a full spectrum of high acuity clinical medicine, trauma and cardiac care, we have active programs in human patient simulation and EM ultrasound, and Calgary is the home of STARS (Shock Trauma Air Rescue Society), one of North America’s longest operating rotary wing aero medical systems. The Department of Emergency Medicine has a growing academic program with research and teaching opportunities.


Fee for Service

Potential AARP in future.

GP On Call.

Recruiter Contact:

Applicants are to submit three letters of reference, curriculum vitae (in pdf format), cover letter and include research interest statement and teaching dossier to:

Dr. Eddy Lang

Department Head, Emergency Medicine

Rockyview General Hospital

Holy Cross Ambulatory Bldg.Room 5A105,

7007 – 14th St. SW

Calgary, AB, T2V 1P9

Phone: 403 943 7570

Fax: 403 943 7967

Email: scott.banks@ahs.ca

30 May 2019
Location: Canada Alberta Calgary
Work type:
Full time
Healthcare and Medical
Medical Practitioner
PLEASE! No enquiries from Recruitment Agencies or Headhunters.

Only direct applications will be considered.

This career opportunity is no longer open.
Please search for current vacancies here.

Bookmark and Share
  • Previous Next

This website uses cookies

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy.
I agree
Read more