Working as part of the EMEA CPB Legal Department, this lawyer will primarily be engaged in working with the regional CPB General Counsel and legal product heads in providing legal support to the business on regulatory and business practice projects and issues, including booking model and practices.
The role involves a wide range of work from general business framework to specific products, including investments, loans and banking. It involves advising on legal and regulatory issues, including retail distribution specific.
The EMEA CPB Legal Team supports the Private Bank’s EMEA booking centres in the UK, Switzerland, and Jersey, and the market region banking teams covering EMEA.
Private Banking is a highly regulated business. In light of new regulations over the last few years and proposed further changes, there are many implications for both general client relationships and structuring and selling of specific products. Due to Brexit planning, regulatory change and stricter interpretations by Regulators, there is also a large amount of change and ongoing work regarding the business model and practice in EMEA. This lawyer will work primarily with the EMEA legal team, business and other functional teams, such as Compliance.
- Regulatory Business Practices
Providing day to day assistance to the Regional General Counsel and legal booking product heads on key regulatory, business practices and business development projects and issues. This could include major new regulations e.g. MiFID II, key business changes e.g. Brexit, interpretation of cross-border booking structures in the complex EEA regulatory environment, communication with regulators as well as day to day legal and regulatory interpretation and advisory questions.
Working closely with other functions and the business on key projects, both developmental and remediatory in relation to the above.
- Consistency of Approach
Ensuring global consistency in relation to these issues, also liaising across legal teams within regions, within and outside CPB, to ensure consistency where related.
This work will expose the lawyer to leading edge legal work in an ever-evolving regulatory environment with exposure to the general business framework as well as innovative products and retail clients.
The role will involve working directly with business teams in London and EMEA and legal colleagues across EMEA as well as on a global basis.
- A general grounding in financial services, and experience with banking or investment advisory services for individuals would be beneficial.
- Experience of working in the UK market with applicable FCA and EU regulation would be beneficial.
- Some experience either in private practice or in-house with banking and/or investment products and applicable FCA regulation would be beneficial. Skills:
- Team Work: Ability to engage with both senior legal and business teams on a partnership basis.
- Strong attention to detail: Ability to apply the care and exactness required in interpreting and applying the rules.
- Able to meet the time demands of a profitable and client and market driven business.
- Conceptual thinking, creativity: Ability to view the larger picture of the business model and associated risks, and to advise senior management on appropriate structures, applicable regulation and best practice.
- Communication: Ability to assimilate complex issues and communicate concisely and clearly.
- Able to keep on top of a rapidly evolving regulatory environment whilst assisting the business to develop innovative but appropriate solutions and structures.
- Able to identify legal risk and to escalate issues on an appropriate basis.
- Able to work in a professional but demanding environment.
- The successful candidate will ideally have extensive years PQE (or equivalent). However, exceptional candidates with the necessary skills and type of experience may be eligible to be considered for the position, regardless of their level of PQE and “on the job training will be provided".
- Team Work
- Attention to Detail
- Communication Skills
- Drive and Determination
- Relationship Building
- Risk Awareness
Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience.
Valuing Diversity: Demonstrates an appreciation of a diverse workforce. Appreciates differences in style or perspective and uses differences to add value to decisions or actions and organisational success.
Citi is an Equal Opportunities Employer.