Merchant Financing is a new business group within Global Commercial Services that provides commercial lending to American Express merchants. The business was launched in 2011 and is a key strategic area of growth for GCS. The Merchant Financing program provides differentiated value to small and mid-sized merchants by addressing their need for convenient and price-competitive financing (loans). Merchant Financing is a high growth business with key objectives of enhancing value to our customers while driving revenue and profitability growth.
The Manager, of Business Development will report to the Director of Field Sales in Merchant Financing. The successful candidate will need to be able to work closely with our internal GCS managers to gain access to our highest value merchants and card holders as well as cold call our smaller merchants. They will be responsible for leveraging these card and merchant relationships across multiple industries to drive new loan enrollments within an assigned territory, with a focus on merchants with American Express charge volume of $100K to $5MM.
Key responsibilities include:
- Cold calling a list of 500+ “small merchants” to educate and discuss and sell our financing products
- Working directly with 20 to 30 assigned and dedicated internal lead referral partners to generate leads, go on customer visits, train and educate them.
- Delivering $1,500,000 to $2MM per month in funded loans (depending on territory)
- Building a robust sales pipeline projecting three to four quarters in the future
- Meticulously maintain and work inside Saleforce.com to record 100% of merchant interactions, follow ups, presentations, emails etc.
- Perform cold drop-ins on merchants in the field when visiting other scheduled appointments
- Leverage GCS teams to obtain warm introductions as well as generating own activity to drive funded loans
- Utilizing consultative and challenger selling practices and conducting merchant visits to identify develop and close leads for new loan enrolments to meet funded loan goals within key target verticals
- Gathering and sharing best practices, sales strategies, as well as marketplace and competitive intelligence from the assigned territory
- Understanding competitive industry financing options to leverage key points of differentiation and identify potential new features
- Ensuring proper business process and compliance controls
- Overnight travel to select markets required –travel expectations vary by market but could be as much as 50% overnight travel
Key leadership competencies include: collaboration & teamwork, “passion for winning”, valuing our people, customer focus, results orientation, creativity and innovation.
Candidates must live in the major metro areas in the listed geographies.Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree –preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in consultative selling of card/ loan/ financing solutions
- Demonstrated success in pipeline management, strategic account management, and portfolio planning
- Proven history of developing sales strategies, closing sales, driving and exceeding results
- Strong teamwork, collaboration, negotiation and influencing skills
- High degree of business acumen and analytical skills, including the ability to understand financial statements
- Demonstrated ability to work virtually, prioritize and self-sufficiently turn leads in to sales
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Proficiency with PC applications is necessary (i.e. MS Office, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Salesforce.com)
- Well-developed project and time management skills required
- Experience working with small-medium size businesses advantageous
- Applicant must have a valid U.S. driver's license and be able to work from a home office environment
- Overnight travel required – as much as 50% travel within territory
- Applicant must reside within the designated territory
- Houston, TX: Covering ½ of Texas and most of Louisiana
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.