Job Description - Legal Counsel (0000CIS4)
Legal Counsel : 0000CIS4
Some careers grow faster than others.
If you’re looking for a career that will give you plenty of opportunities to develop, join HSBC and your future will be rich with potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further
Offering a diverse range of legal skills and jurisdictional experience across the full range of countries and territories in which our businesses operate. Group Legal plays an important role in the day-to-day and long-term planning activities of all of our businesses around the world. Responsible for providing comprehensive legal advice to senior management and all Group functions, the team advises on and takes an active involvement in all business and operational strategies and initiatives, from legislative and regulatory matters to the setting of policies, standards and procedures for guarding against and reporting on legal risk and reputational management issues.
We are currently seeking an experienced professional to join this team in the role of Legal Counsel.
To provide legal advice, guidance and support in assigned areas to ensure that the Group’s exposure to legal risk is managed.
- Provide counsel and legal support on a variety of legal matters, or in a specialist area;
- To be considered to be a trusted adviser to, amongst others, credit recovery, marketing, RBWM, operations and such other departments and Group companies assigned from time to time by ensuring that commercially sensitive, pragmatic and practical legal support and advice is provided in cost-effective manner for assigned areas;
- Provide prompt, commercial, practical legal advice to assigned areas;
- Be proactive in the provision of the legal support and in advising the Business promptly of material legal developments and their implications;
- Ensure legal management is fully briefed on major issues arising in relevant Business area and major legislative changes in area of expertise;
- Liaise with panel law firms other appropriate external parties;
- Maintain and develop positive and professional working relationships with all team members within HSBC Legal Department (MYH LGA), and business departments
- Manage the approach to legal risk in MYH legal and business departments to ensure that the interests of the HSBC Group are adequately protected;
- Assist the business to remain compliant with legal risk management requirements set out in the Group Standards Manual and Legal Functional Instructional Manual (FIM);
- Awareness of the operational risk scenarios associated with the role and to ensure that all actions during the employment with HSBC take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring;
- Leadership over all regulatory and compliance matters and the management of operational risk.
- A recognised degree is a pre-requisite with at least 5 years of related experience, either as an in-house lawyer or in a law firm;
- Qualified Lawyer;
- Wide knowledge and experience of banking, corporate and securities law concepts and working knowledge of the laws in the major jurisdiction in which HSBC operates;
- Corporate and Compliance experience is an advantage, but not essential;
- Knowledge of the HSBC Group’s corporate structures, its business and personnel and a clear understanding of HSBC’s corporate culture;
- Commercially astute with excellent command of spoken and written English, and ability to work independently as well as part of a team are absolutely essential attributes;
- Responsible, mature individual with good analytical skills and a strong commitment to deliver within tight deadlines and able to multi-task;
- Ability to provide proactive legal support to a wide client base;
- Knowledge of regulation impacting the banking and financial services industries;
- Meticulous and detail-conscious;
- Able to manage and prioritise conflicting demands;
- Developing lateral thinking/problem solving skills.
You’ll achieve more when you join HSBC.
HSBC takes pride in a diverse and inclusive working environment that sees our people benefit from mentoring, flexible working and the support of Employee Resource Network Groups. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by HSBC Bank Malaysia Berhad.
: Legal & Compliance
: Asia Pacific-Malaysia-Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur-Kuala Lumpur
: Day JobType of Vacancy : Country vacancy
: 31-Jan-2019, 19:30:10
: 28-Feb-2019, 23:59:00