Domain Expertise and Experience
Role Specific Expertise and Experience ( Technical / Business / Tool )
1. SQL Server database. Sybase (SAP ASE) database an advantage. Other (newer) data platforms also an advantage. Windows, Linux.
3. Restful API development, Automation and orchestration tools, Cloud services provision and utilisation.
General Knowledge & Experience (For the role – not the role holder. Minimum requirements of the role.)
· In-depth understanding of all aspects of design, implementation and maintenance of SQL Server database and Sybase (SAP ASE) database in a large globally distributed environment.
· Experience of newer data platform technologies (eg NoSQL technologies)
· Experience of development of tooling to support automation of management of SQL / Sybase databases.
· Knowledge / experience of PaaS, IaaS, containers.
· Good communication skills for working in a global collaborative team with globally distributed customers.
· Experience working within large-scale enterprise IT environment and the embedded controls
· Experience working with Agile working practices and tooling
· Experience and awareness of security, audit, risk and compliance within enterprise IT environment
· Engineering background preferred and/or experience to equivalent level
A. Two years or less B. Two to five years C. Five to ten years D. Over ten years
Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA ) Levels
Role Purpose (overall high level summary of the role)
The Data Platforms Infrastructure Enterprise Services job is responsible for building and running enterprise services that enable DevOps.
This role will carry out some or all of the following activities
• Provide Enterprise Services, including data platform services for securely storing/analysing data as well as Developer Services which enable faster delivery of highly standardised platform services
• Implement automation and Devops interfaces
• Consolidate and reduce infrastructure complexity
• Develop Cloud based infrastructure platforms and deliver infrastructure, platform etc. “as a Service” by working with Business & other DevOps teams
• Determine the strategic direction and execute in each of the Technology areas under Enterprise Services responsibility
• Risk and Cost Management
• Ensure Service Quality Targets are met for offered platform services
• Business stakeholder management to define product roadmaps and market available capabilities
• Write development code, understand a DevOps Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery pipeline, and build automated test scripts (for infrastructure products and upgrades), and build automation interfaces between systems
Impact on the Business / Function
o Deliver self-service and automation capability for management of the globally distributed database estate, including patching for security compliance.
Customers / Stakeholders
o ITID Enterprise Services Data Platforms production support, infrastructure maintenance, business delivery and planning & governance.
o Global Business/Global Functions IT
Leadership & Teamwork
o Working within the Data Platforms Engineering team to provide integrated Infrastructure as a Service.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
o Include automation and self-service options for cloud and non-cloud targets.
o Deliver as a Service to meet HSBC standards for availability, security, recovery, performance and compliance, supported by Data Platforms production support.
Major Challenges (The challenges inherent in the role that require a continual test of the role holder’s abilities)
This global role helps us to deliver critical infrastructure services across thousands of production database instances deployed globally and supported by colleagues across all businesses, functions and countries. The incumbent requires excellent communication skills and full appreciation of the opportunities for collaboration and inclusion that this presents and requires for success.
There are many technical challenges to resolve which demand continuously refreshed knowledge of the product.
The incumbent needs to be innovative, self-sufficient to a large extent and capable of developing and implementing solutions while operating within a supportive and highly collaborative engineering team.
Role Context (The environment and operating conditions of the role including the extent of guidance and authority)
The role operates within the Data Platforms Engineering team which provides infrastructure tooling for the global Data Platforms function. The incumbent has subject matter expertise and an input to the design and implementation of solutions, subject to integration requirements with existing Data Platforms infrastructure and always in collaboration with colleagues in Data Platforms, Enterprise Services domains and the clients and stakeholders in Global Businesses and Functions. Among these is the Data Platforms Technical Architecture group which is accountable and responsible for the definition of standards and strategy in HSBC for Data Platforms products.
Management & Leadership of Regulatory, Compliance & Operational Risk (Operational Risk / FIM requirements)
Awareness of regulatory & compliance matters. Maintain awareness of operational risk and minimize the likelihood of it occurring including its identification, assessment, mitigation and control, loss identification and reporting in accordance with section B.1.2 of the Group Operations FIM.
Observation of Internal Controls (Compliance Policy / FIM requirements)
Maintain and observe HSBC internal control standards, implement and observe Group Compliance Policy, including the timely implementation of recommendations made by internal/external auditors and external regulators. Foster a compliance culture and implement Group Compliance Policy by managing compliance risk in liaison with the Head of Group Compliance, Regional Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer, ensuring adequate compliance resources are in place and training is provided, and optimising relations with regulators
This role does not have any financial responsibilities (budget/expenditure limits, etc.)
Headcount reporting to this role
(All staff in the dept/section, including direct & indirect subordinates. Do not include dotted/functional reportees headcount here.)
Dotted/functional reportees to this role, if any (state title of the job):
Banking and Financial Services
PLEASE! No enquiries from Recruitment Agencies or Headhunters.
Only direct applications will be considered.