Why American Express
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.Don’t make a difference without it.Don’t live life without it.
You won’t just shape the world of software. You’ll shape the world of life, work and play.
Our Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. So, if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- As part of Enterprise Information Management Platforms team, you will work on designing and deploying highly scalable data platforms using NoSQL solutions (Cassandra/Couchbase/MapRDB) to support Mission Critical Applications.
- Engineer Data solutions using NoSQL products (e.g. Cassandra/Couchbase/MapRDB) to support large data processing (TB’s/ PB’s) across Enterprise
- Play an integral role in building and enhancing the data infrastructure using modern database solutions required to support the business portfolio while providing consultation to internal business partners, customers and vendors in assessing data management needs.
- Create enterprise data services API’s that can support high scale ingestion frameworks
- Provide Platform blueprints using next generation data management tools and technical solutions to support Mission Critical Platforms.
- Communicate the value of NoSQL based solutions and recommendations to non-technical audiences including senior management.
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Automate all the things - builds, infrastructure and deployments.
- Drive standardization to reduce costs and improve efficiencies.
- Provide technical expertise to help team members overcome technical problems
- Provide technical guidance to other software engineers at all levels
- Provide level 2 support for core data platform disruptions
Are you up for the challenge?
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field required; advanced degree preferred
- 4+ years of software development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience
- Experience with design and development across one or more database management systems
- Understanding of Big data / NOSQL design and development with variety of data stores
- Extensive experience with NoSQL Databases - preferably with Document data store - Couchbase & Column family NoSQL data store - Cassandra
- In-depth Data modeling experience with NoSQL databases preferably with Couchbase, Cassandra
- Proven experience with Capacity Planning, Performance tuning, Query capabilities, Backup and Recovery with NoSQL Databases
- Experience in relational databases including PostgreSQL, Oracle 11G/12C a plus
- Experience with Neo4J, Cassandra, Spark is a plus
- Programming knowledge/experience with NoSQL databases is a plus – Java, Node.js
- Experience with In-Memory data grids like Apache Ignite, Hazelcast is a plus
- Database Automation - CI/CD & DevOps
At the core of Data Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Database Design
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- SDLC Methodologies and Practices
- Business Analysis
- Data Analysis
- Data Management
- Analytical Thinking
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.