Why American Express? There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference. American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards. We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision. Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people. The powerful backing of American Express. Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
American Express is embarking upon an exciting modernization and transformational journey to implement a Service Mesh to power our micro-services and APIs. We are seeking a highly energetic, passionate and hands-on leader with experience in Cloud technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift, Cloud Native Apps, Micro-Services and APIs to drive our API Strategy forward. In this role, you will help build enterprise-scale Service Mesh solutions with a focus on Scalability, Performance, Security and Availability.
- Implement a service mesh on AMEX’s cloud platform
- Collaborate across technology partners to implement Service Mesh solutions and with API Owners to drive adoption
- Build complex integrations with enterprise systems for Security, Distributed Tracing, Telemetry, and others.
- Develop, build and scale containerized apps
- Conduct code reviews and contribute writing highly performant code (JAVA preferred, C++ and Go are a nice to have)
- Develop Micro-services, APIs, REST and gRPC interfaces
- Develop proofs of concept to demonstrate feasibility of new ideas and technologies
- Contribute ideas and solutions to Amex’s API strategy and our developer community
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in computer science or equivalent
- 10+ years of engineering experience, with emphasis on programming and system design
- Hands on experience with Java, data structures and algorithms
- Experience preferred with REST/gRPC, Docker, Kubernetes, Openshift, Cloud native apps
- Understanding of networking principles, performance testing, CICD and DevOps
- Knowledge in Service Mesh and Side-car Architecture is a plus.
- Self-motivated, ability to collaborate and drive results
- Proven ability to lead a team of engineers
- Ability to experiment with, learn and apply new technologies quickly
Employment eligibility to work in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.