This NYC-based position will be an integral member of the public affairs team supporting the American Express Global Merchant & Network Services (GMNS) division. GMNS comprises a core group of AXP businesses that build and manage important partnerships for the company, including the relationships with the millions of merchants around the world that accept American Express, as well as the partnerships with banks, strategic and loyalty partners. The Manager will provide effective external and internal communications support and counsel to key business partners, develop and execute proactive media strategies to further business unit objectives, and support AXP involvement within key industry engagement groups. The Manager will report to the Director, Corporate Affairs and Communications supporting the GMNS business.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (a) External Communications
- Support the business goals of GMNS by helping to develop and implement communications programs, including driving awareness of the value we provide tomerchants and other partners, as well as the capabilities of the American Express network globally.
- Developcommunications campaigns and materials, including press releases, blog posts, social media content, conference presentations, white papers, and more.
- Support American Express involvement with key industry engagement groups, ensuring the GMNS team has a public voice on important industry trends and topics.
- Monitor competitor and industry-level activities, including advancements in emerging payment technologies, merchant aggregator developments, andnetwork policy changes.
- Represent GMNS in the region as a primary spokesperson responding to media inquiries.
- Work with colleagues globally to ensure GMNS products and services are accurately and consistently represented in local markets.
(b) Colleague Communications
- Support development and execution of effective internal communications programs, including GMNS global town halls, content for the American Express intranet, organization announcements, reward and recognition programs, and more.
- Provide internal messaging for company-wide initiatives and issues that may impact GMNS as well as issues unique to the business.
- Superior written, verbal and media relations skills.
- Five to seven years’ public relations experience, with established ability to influence and counsel internal and external stakeholders while managing multiple priorities and a deadline-driven work environment.
- Proven ability to quickly learn and absorb complex and technical subjects and translate material into comprehensive and easy to understand communications messages.
- Payments, banking, and/or fintech industry experience a plus.
- Creativity in developing and managing stories with national, local and trade press.
- Proven experience in managing PR agencies and/or teams; agency experience a plus.
- Needs to be a self-starter, good project manager, and able to work independently, while operating as a team player adaptable to diverse group of colleagues and clients.
- Strong attention to detail and organization.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.