Job Description - Business Analyst (0000D2UB)
Business Analyst : 0000D2UB
Role Title: Business Analyst
Business: Financial Crime Risk
New or Existing Role- New
- Compliance Transformation (CT) ensures effective and efficient definition, planning, management and execution of global change programmes related to financial crime risk, supporting the FCR business teams and HSBC to meet its regulatory commitments. Financial crime risk covers key areas such as money laundering, sanctions and anti-bribery and corruption.
- Global Transformation Business Analysts are at the centre of how Transformation shapes, delivers and embeds change working with the business and our delivery partners. They are typically responsible for Requirements Management, Design, Change Management and Implementation Management. Business Analysts work collaboratively with delivery partners and subject matter experts in gathering, translating and clarifying requirements and defining design options. In systems related projects and programmes, the role holder will support Software Delivery and IT Operations with the translation of business requirements and designs into more detailed functional requirements and designs, often representing the voice of the customer and business in these discussions. The Business Analyst’s change management activities span from early change planning and audience analysis; through to designing and delivering change interventions (e.g. communications, training, support, organisation alignment); and tracking and taking actions on change readiness, adoption, and feedback. Business Analysts are also responsible for Implementation Management, including planning, controlling and reporting on implementation of the change ‘product’, focusing on accelerating benefits and minimising risk during deployment. Implementation activities will also include managing implementation readiness and managing the early stages of implementation (e.g. pilot). In reengineering projects, they work closely with the Process Consultants in analysing and re-engineering world class business processes. Business Analysts will often lead design workstreams or teams, managing other Global Transformation Analysts, SMEs and resources from our delivery partners.
Impact on Business
Employs an improvement mindset to identify and define issues or problems that are less obvious; participates actively and constructively in brainstorming meetings where problems are discussed and/or resolved
Brings structure and order to undefined problems and/or large scale problems, making them easier to address and solve
- Uses systemic thinking and creativity in devising solution options
- Evaluates relative costs, benefits and obstacles of potential solutions before implementing
Articulates or translates complex information in clear, meaningful and structured way to suit audience
Understands the Group’s priorities, business drivers, competitors and competitive strategy to help drive strategically aligned solutions, considering aspects of risk/reward.
- Questions small-scale business decisions that do not
- demonstrate alignment to the Group’s commercial strategy
Anticipates issues and risks and acts to mitigate these quickly;
handles any unforeseen roadblocks swiftly and effectively
Thinks ahead to identify potential risks to service or performance and deals with them proactively; effectively manages review processes to identify quality issues early
Builds effective working relationships with analysis and design teams in our delivery partners and works well with external partners
- Often acts as an expert across multiple projects or programmes simultaneously, guiding the teams on their requirements gathering, design, change or implementation approach. May conduct one off business research and analysis tasks related to programme or project scope
- Defines requirements management processes and designs detailed business solutions and structures based on business requirements; challenges business intent in a constructive manner
- Identifies areas of impact on the target operating model and designs activities to mitigate impact
- Manages requirements traceability through design and delivery
- Utilises financial skills to develop a high level business case, considering investment and high level benefits
- Manages the change implementation activities, including business readiness assessment (i.e. avoiding multiple change clashes), implementation pilot (including approach and checklists) and actual implementation (including reporting status and issues)
- Manages the change audience through the commitment curve with communications, training and development
- Supports reengineering of processes, where process is one of the many parts of the change, and provides detailed guidance on process design (considering risk, end-to-end and cost)
- Supports the programme management with impact assessment for change requests on design, scope, time, budget or effort on programme plan and provides accurate estimates for handling new requirements, design changes and scope
- Supports project or programme resourcing activities
- Allocates tasks and objectives to other analysts on a project or programme
Capability and People Development
- Promotes pace and energy within the team and leads by example
- Understands differences between people as an opportunity to learn from varied viewpoints
- Gains a clear understanding of others’ point of view by listening, asking clarifying questions and reflecting back; encourages and facilitates open and honest debate with tact and integrity, even where sensitive issues are involved
- Supports others design efforts where they have relevant experience and operates in a collaborative manner
- Organises team engagement and motivation initiatives (e.g. learning and development opportunities, team networking events etc.)
- Builds professional relationships and networks with people in or outside the team as part of day-to-day work
- Seeks opportunities to work collaboratively across boundaries
- (e.g. with different teams, geographies, cultures etc.)
- Manages a team and the performance of individuals against performance objectives and project or programme plan
- Content heavy role – Business Analysts must demonstrate strong business knowledge and sound business sense, and stay abreast of the industry, business-wise and technology-wise.
- Stakeholder complexity – Business Analysts will often need gather requirements and agree designs across business stakeholders, dealing with different interests and resolving disagreements and conflicts, and sometimes needing to challenge poor requirements and design decisions. They will often attend and lead these meetings or workshops with no Global Transformation supervision.
- Multi-disciplinary – Business Analysts need to be able to shape business requirements and solution designs that encompass all aspects of the delivery (customer, people, process, policy, technology - system, data, infrastructure, etc). Often Business Analysts will work across multiple projects at the same time.
- The vision statement for Transformation is “To be the businesses’ primary change partner, support the implementation of the Group Strategy and make change a source of sustainable competitive advantage for HSBC”. The job is a major point of contact with the business and IT. The jobholder works independently and has a high level of flexibility to consult with the business at all levels. They will need to have the ability to work closely with and build good relationships with Software Delivery, IT Operations, Service Delivery, and with other delivery partners and Global Functions. The jobholder is expected to successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously, taking a lead analyst role in larger projects, directing all analyst activity
- The value of this role should not be measured by the size of the team, but by the impact the team is expected to deliver within the programme or project.
Management of Risk
- The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks and likelihood of operational risk occurring. This will be achieved by reviewing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing global economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new processes. Effective and timely remedial action should be evidenced. Group Programmes and regional/local programmes/projects must be managed in accordance with the Group Controls Framework and with relevant FIMs. Solutions must comply with applicable legal and regulatory requirements - albeit that inherent in the role is the requirement to challenge our interpretation of these requirements to ensure that we take a commercial approach to their implementation.
Observation of Internal Controls
- The jobholder will adopt the Group Compliance Policy by escalating any identified compliance risk in liaison with, Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply.
- Business Analysts adhere to the Groups standard tools and methodologies :
- Global Transformation Business Consulting Framework
- Global Transformation Process Reengineering Framework
- Global Transformation Initiation Framework
- Global Transformation C&I Framework
- Global Transformation Project Management Framework
- Global Transformation Programme Management Framework
- Group Standard Business Case
- Global Transformation tools like Clarity
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- Good understanding of Global Transformation Business Transformation Frameworks and best practice techniques
- A thorough understanding of the purpose, values, culture and fundamentals of Global Transformation
- Outstanding understanding of HSBC Group structures, processes and objectives
- Very strong knowledge of the external environment – regulatory, political, competitors etc.
- Basic Business reengineering knowledge
- Business analysis, requirements gathering and design techniques
- Change management and implementation management techniques and approaches
- Proven track record as an outstanding analyst, consultant and/or project manager
- Overall financial services industry knowledge with specific functional expertise
- Extensive experience gathering requirements and conducting design activity, with a mix of business, operations and technology focused projects
- Exposure to business case development and a sound understanding of how design enablers underpin business benefits
- Strong experience of delivering change into different audiences and managing implementation in banking environments (branch, contact centre, trading floor, operations, head office etc).
- Effective communication, inter-personal and negotiating skills
- Excellent decision making and problem solving ability
- Sound judgmental skills to identify and resolve problems
- Experience of managing resources using appropriate communication, delegation and planning skills
- Ability to motivate and lead people, employing appropriate management styles
- Proven ability to work across regions whilst maintaining a global perspective
- Proven ability to work with senior stakeholders and business sponsors
- Business Analysis & Design
- Achieving Excellence
- Delivery at Pace
- Impactful communication
- Business Case and Benefits Realisation
- Change and Implementation Management
- Planning and Plan Management
- Stakeholder Management
- Problem Solving and Critical Thinking
- Process Re-engineering
- Resource and Team Management
- Consultancy Qualifications and Accreditations
- Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) – Expected to work towards qualification
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
- Degree in Business Information Systems or a related field – Differentiator
- Degree in business administration / management / economics, engineering and science – Differentiator
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies.
: Risk Management
: Europe-United Kingdom-Hampshire-Fareham
: Day JobType of Vacancy : Global vacancy
: 30-May-2019, 18:25:32