The Manager / Sr. Manager, Industry Engagement Strategy is an amazing opportunity to shape the future of the payments landscape internally and externally.
The Manager / Sr. Manager embraces Amex’s Framework for Winning by collaborating, providing input to the team’s vision and strategy, and engaging internally and externally as it relates to EMVCo, W3C, PCI and US Payments Forum (USPF). The Manager / Sr. Manager listens to our internal partners while simultaneously providing valuable industry insights to them. This role helps define where we need to build internal consensus, what key decisions we need to make, and provides input on these. The Manager / Sr. Manager brings forward industry factors and internal changes where adjustments in strategy need to be made. Additionally, the Manager / Sr. Manager helps to influences external organizations towards implementing our key initiatives and strategies that ultimately result in benefit to Amex.
- Provide input and support creating vision and strategy for Amex’s engagement in EMVCo, W3C, PCI and USPF by gathering and sharing internal and external insights.
- Work with leadership and collaborate across the enterprise to identify where we need Amex strategy and positions related to industry organization work. This includes:
- Recommending where Amex should focus its time and resources within EMVCO, W3C, PCI, USPF and other industry organizations.
- Lead Amex representation on select work groups within EMVCo, W3C, PCI and USPF, driving Amex strategy, reporting on outcomes, and providing input to measure success. Support Amex leadership on the EMVCO Board of Managers, W3C Committees, PCI Board of Managers, USPF Committees and others including leading representing when leadership is unable to participate.
- Help leadership to identify others groups across Amex and SMEs to who can influence and assist in driving our strategy externally at work groups.
- Participate in creating and maintaining a process to report Amex engagement across work groups and industry bodies.
- Work closely with others on the Industry Engagement Strategy team on key initiatives, internal partner communication, and engagement strategy.
- Share industry intelligence with leadership for dissemination to internal partners. Document, then organize, external insights which will help to educate, inform, and shape Amex strategies.
- Be an agent for continual transformation. Identify opportunities for improvement and efficiency. Be courageous in challenging status quo and past assumptions, provide counter arguments, take risks, and be open to change.
- Share responsibility with other team members to organization and manage operations of EMVCO, W3C, PCI, USPF and other industry organization on behalf of Amex.
Critical skills for success
- A passion for payments: have a keen sense of the current and future payment industry landscape.
- Influencer and relationship builder: create trusting relationships internally and externally, listen actively, be genuine and authentic, help others succeed, tell stories and share experiences.
- Collaborator: listen, seek input from others and act on it, set expectations, and follow-up.
- Critical thinker and creative problem solver: clarify issues, seek information, research, ask questions, analyze, be curious, brainstorm, identify options, develop solutions, recommend solutions and gain buy-in from leadership to drive these back into the industry.
- Flexible and resilient: flag signals of change in the industry; be open to changing direction based on new information, be reflective; persevere by bouncing back quickly and adjusting when things don’t go as planned.
- Organization and planning: created structured approach to managing workload and participating in work groups, prioritizing, reporting status, coordinating and agreeing with leadership how we make decisions that impact Amex.
- Inspirational leader: be excited to share what you know with others, communicate complex topics in a clear and simple manner, be confident in your abilities and expertise yet self-aware, live your values, appreciate others and celebrate wins, ask for feedback then act on it, focus on the positive, push your leader to empower you, empower others when appropriate, lead by example, and have fun.
- Proficiency in project management, organizing, and creating business plans.
- Expertise in how payments work with an aptitude for both technical and business aspects.
- Understanding of the internal Amex organizations, in particular product, technology, and processes related to the Global Network, Digital Labs, and Global Merchant Services.
- Experience in representing Amex externally within the industry, clients, or other partners is a plus.
- Locations: 200 Vesey St, New York, NY 10285 OR 18850 N. 56th Street Phoenix, Arizona 85054
- Travel: Must be willing to travel approximately 25% domestically and internationally.
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
Why American Express:
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it. Don’t live life without it.