Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Looking for energetic, high-performing Engineer to help shape our technology and product roadmap for Commercial Cornerstone and Organized Data Layer. You will be part of the fast-paced, entrepreneurial team to deliver innovative solutions on Big Data (Cornerstone) for GCP Organization and migration of SAS based SPS JAPA and EMEA Platform to One Commercial.
- Owns all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications
- Performs hands-on architecture, design, and development of systems
- Functions as member of an agile team and helps drive consistent development practices wrt tools, common components, and documentation
- Develops deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms within the supported domains
- Writes code and unit tests, works on API specs, automation, and conducts code reviews & testing
- Performs ongoing refactoring of code, utilizes visualization and other techniques to fast-track concepts, and deliver continuous improvement
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Provides continuous support for ongoing application availability
- Works closely with product owners on blueprints and annual planning of feature sets that impact multiple platforms and products
- Works with product owners to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues.
- Production, modification, and maintenance of websites and web application user interfaces
- Creating tools that enhance how users see and interact with your site in any browser
- Implementing responsive design for mobile sites
- Contributing some back-end experience, collaborating on APIs, and more
- Maintaining software workflow management with a project management tool like GitHub
- Testing the site during development for usability and fixing any bugs
Bachelor's or Master's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience, is preferred.
5+ years of software development experience with proven hands-on experience in Hadoop/ Spark/ HIVE/ Python/ NoSQL & SQL Databases
Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
Good knowledge of Big Data querying tools, such as Pig, Hive, and Impala
Experience with Spark and integration of data from multiple data sources
Experience with NoSQL databases, such as HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB
Knowledge of various ETL techniques and frameworks, such as Flume
Analytically-minded and data-oriented (expert at making cases with data) with boundless curiosity about our Creators and what can make them successful
Accustomed to driving results over process in a collaborative, fast-paced environment. Comfortable with ambiguity
Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods
Looks proactively beyond the obvious for continuous improvement opportunities
High energy, demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies, and takes pride in how fast they develop working software
This role may be subject to additional background verification checks.